Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sarah Baker's nutgraf in The New York Times

I found a likable nutgraf in For Idaho and the Internet, Life in the Slow Lane: "And, according to a new study, they are among the problems that have earned Idaho an unfortunate distinction: it had the slowest Internet speeds in the country earlier this year for residential customers who were downloading things like games--a "dismal" average of 318 kilobytes per second."

I like this nutgraf because it succinctly sums up the article, mentions a study, and teases me enough to want to continue reading. By mentioning "slowest internet speeds in the country" it makes me wonder as a Cambridge resident how we fare. It turns out Andover, Mass is the fastest city and Rhode Island is the fastest state so I guess I live smack in the middle of the fast lane. I also appreciate the specificity of "318 kilobytes per second." Since those numbers mean nothing to me, I continue the article to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment