Friday, September 23, 2011

Wonderful quotes

Bruce Lerch of the Boston Herald wrote a piece in today's edition focusing on Central Catholic student and football player Fortune Kalala. Kalala is a high school senior, but what makes him so unique in the Greater Boston area is that he grew up in Democratic Republic of the Congo during the great War of Africa.

The family was forced to flee, and eventually became separated. There were some heart-wrenching quotes:

“I remember it was hot all the time and we had to sleep in a tent outside in the camp,” Kalala recalled. “We had one mattress for us three, one pot and very little clothing. We thought we were going to split up for a couple of months and then meet up with my mom, but the papers here were delayed so we ended up staying split up for four years.”

“When we finally made it to Logan Airport, I first saw my uncles and then I saw my mom in the background, and I just ran over and hugged her as hard as I could,” Kalala said, choking up at the memory. “That was the best day of my life.”

If you would like to read the piece, here is the link:
http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/football/view.bg?articleid=1368071&format=text

No comments:

Post a Comment