Monday, November 21, 2011

Proof in the media - "How's it going to get fixed?"

PROOF. That’s all I want. I want real proof of how each candidate’s plans to rebuild the economy and how they plan to do it. I’m not partial to any necessary method of proof; I just want to see it.

Whether it’s in a PowerPoint presentation, an excel sheet or a business plan model, that Mitt Romney seems to be so well at creating and then tearing apart into perfect little pieces. I want to see how they plan to do it. I’m so frustrated with all the “I-Hate-Obama” talks and “Obama-messed-up-the economy” line; it does nothing for me as a voter, it’s a broken record and in the words of Jerry McGuire, “Show me the money,”- well… where you plan to spend the money… and how you will bring down the national deficient… and how you will create jobs. How is it going to ensure future generations that social security will exist. I’m freaking out about the national deficit. In FY 2009 it was $1.9 trillion, one year later it $1.7 trillion and as of November 17, 2011 the gross debt was $15.03 trillion. It’s not like the government can file bankruptcy and start over again, someone has to pay it; and who’s better qualified to solve that tangle mess?

I don’t like gossip or bad-mouthing people, maybe it’s just my mother’s voice in my head saying “if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say it,” - which I acknowledge would be practically impossible to ask a presidential candidate to play nice. But I’m just done with it. I just want a straightforward and clear answer. I’ve spent a lot of time on each candidate’s web site in search of detailed answers and reviewed several videos and watched numerous debates but, I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

My frustration with the media has more to do with the lack of real news. I feel as though there is a great focus on who is the biggest clown of the evening or did something embarrassing. I feel some journalists are only looking for the next biggest blunders or scandal. Unless the information that investigative reporting digs up will negatively impact the candidates’ ability to run the country then I don’t want to hear it.

I’m almost tempted to tape headshots of my top two choices (as of now Romney & Cain) and throw a dart with my eyes closed and, whichever the dart hits the lowest, I’ll vote for that guy since gravity seems to be the only reliable source.

No more sexual allegations, no more bad mouthing, no more hallow promises and wordy sentence that say nothing.

I just want the proof.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. This was written before Monday's class, correct? Here is an excerpt that resonated with me:

    My frustration with the media has more to do with the lack of real news. I feel as though there is a great focus on who is the biggest clown of the evening or did something embarrassing. I feel some journalists are only looking for the next biggest blunders or scandal. Unless the information that investigative reporting digs up will negatively impact the candidates’ ability to run the country then I don’t want to hear it.

    The point fit in perfectly with Glen Johnson's discussion of aggressive reporting vs. fame seeking. As he displayed with his viral Romney video, he has built trust by covering candidates fairly and honestly. Though I'm sure other reporters would have acted similarly to Johnson, there would have been an ample amount who used the opportunity for their fifteen minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete