Monday, November 21, 2011

Why Political Coverage Doesn't Interest Me

It's difficult for me to comment on politics since I do not follow it with any passion. This is a remarkable turnaround for me since back in 1998, I eagerly and proudly voted in my first election thinking I somehow helped make a difference voting for Chuck Schumer over incumbent Alfonse D'amato in the race for U.S Senate.

Reading more about politics over the years, I've come to realize it doesn't really matter who was in power. I've subscribed to the notion that America is The Best Democracy Money Can Buy. Special interests of the wealthy nearly always win out unless there is a seismic movement from below. Change doesn't come from the top, it comes from the bottom.

In 2008, I had many peers who were suddenly interested in politics thinking the election of Barack Obama was somehow going to change our government. I didn't bother to vote. While I was happy for other reasons to see President Obama win, I knew in the grand scheme of things, life would not be any different. Our wars would continue and government would still be beholden to corporations like Goldman Sachs, Obama's top donor.

We give too much credit to our elected officials when real change comes from the people, who force politicians with no choice but to act. Achievements in civil rights were not because of people like John F. Kennedy, but was really the work of people like Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. If there is a real financial reform, it will not be because of Obama, but because of movements like Occupy Wall Street. While OWS has been getting a large amount of coverage, there are many other important movements that are happening now and have happened in the past that deserve more coverage. At least more than the latest Republican contender gaffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment